We’re here for you.
As we navigate the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, our top priority is the well-being of our customers, employees, and communities. With that in mind, we have taken several steps to protect the health and safety of our colleagues, instituted additional options for customers experiencing financial difficulty, and increased operational functionality to ensure our customers experience minimal disruption to the services they need.
If you need help, we have options
If you are experiencing difficulties during this time, please contact us to discuss your situation. We have assistance options available to help you keep your account in good standing during this unique health emergency.
Sallie Mae customer service agents are available online via chat, through our Sallie Mae app, and by phone at 800-4-SALLIE (800-472-5543). Agents are available Monday through Thursday: 8 a.m. – 9 p.m. ET, Friday: 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. ET, and Saturday: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. ET. Hold times may be longer than normal. Thanks for your patience and understanding.
If you are past due on your payment, please call us at 877-604-8834 so we may discuss options available to help you.
We will continue to monitor and evaluate the situation to determine further actions and options to assist you.
Access your account anytime
Additionally, you may access your account via our mobile apps and SallieMae.com anytime. We continually add features and functionality to expand what customers can complete via self service.
- Loan customers: Use SallieMae.com or the Sallie Mae App to manage your account, view transactions, check a balance, make payments, change passwords, and more.
- Credit card customers: Use SallieMae.com or the Sallie Mae Credit Card App to manage your account, view transactions, check a balance, make payments, change passwords, and more.
- Banking customers: Money Market Account, High-Yield Savings Account, or Certificate of Deposit customers may use SallieMae.com or the Sallie Mae Banking mobile app to check balances, view recent transactions, make transfers, open additional accounts and more. SmartyPig customers may log in at SmartyPig.com to check balances, view recent transactions, make transfers, create new goals and more.
Protect yourself from fraud
During times of crisis, you still need to look out for criminals trying to defraud you of your money or steal your identity. Make sure to protect yourself and consider these simple steps to avoid unnecessary risk. Also, refer to these resources for information about avoiding COVID-19 scams and the types of scams and attacks both you and Sallie Mae are facing:
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security Cyber Infrastructure’s Defending Against COVID-19 Cyber Scams
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security Cyber Infrastructure’s Avoiding Social Engineering and Phishing Scams
Taking care of our employees
We are committed to providing the best possible service to our customers, and that includes providing additional support to our employees who serve you. Additional changes were implemented to support more employees’ ability to work remotely, and we advanced social distancing and enhanced cleaning measures at all facilities.
Caring for our communities
Food banks are a lifeline to our communities’ most vulnerable residents during these uncertain times, and they’ve taken an unprecedented hit from increased demand. Coming together to support our neighbors in need is essential right now.
That’s why Sallie Mae’s charitable arm, The Sallie Mae Fund, donated $1 million to local food banks in Delaware, Indiana, Massachusetts, Utah, and Virginia – the communities in which we work and live. Each of these organizations received $200,000 from The Sallie Mae Fund to help deploy vital hunger-relief resources to our neighbors in need:
- Food Bank of Delaware
- Gleaners Food Bank of Indiana
- The Greater Boston Food Bank
- Utah Food Bank
- Loudoun Hunger Relief
Get the latest information on coronavirus
The latest information regarding the coronavirus, precautionary tips, and up-to-date travel guidance is available at CDC coronavirus site.
Frequently Asked Questions about COVID-19
Coronavirus Myth Busters
Advice for the Public
As the situation with the coronavirus evolves, please know that we are thinking of you and your families, friends, and colleagues, and we’re committed to being here for you during this time of uncertainty.