Taking Standardized Tests
Where you apply and where you are in your academic career determine which exams and tests you need.
Planning for them need not be stressful. A little preparation goes a long way.
High school equivalent test
Certificate of diploma exam (GED): Widely recognized as the equivalent of a high school diploma.
Standardized tests for college
- SAT: Tests skill levels in math, vocabulary, and reading comprehension of people planning to attend college.
- ACT: Tests skill levels in English, math, reading, and science of those planning to attend college. An optional Writing test is also available.
- TOEFL: Measures the ability of nonnative speakers of English to use and understand North American English as spoken in colleges and universities.
Standardized tests for grad school
- GRE: For graduate school candidates.
- GMAT: For business school candidates.
- LSAT: For law school candidates.
- MCAT: For medical school candidates.
Was this page useful?
Tell us more