Tax Forms for Student Loans
What you need to know about tax forms related to student loans.
This form is a Student Loan Interest Statement that provides the amount of interest a borrower paid on their eligible student loan(s) during the calendar year. This statement is only available for the borrower. Cosigners do not receive a Form 1098-E.
- Borrowers may be able to deduct eligible interest on their income tax return, which can reduce their taxable income.
- Form 1098-E will include all eligible interest payments received by December 31. Please note that the amount of student loan interest paid may be different from the amount of accrued interest which appears on monthly billing statements.
This form is an annual income interest tax statement that shows the amount of interest income earned on a Upromise account during the calendar year. It’s provided to borrowers who:
- Have met the requirements for borrower benefit programs, and
- Earned more benefit dollars than they paid in eligible student loan interest during the calendar year.
This statement is only available for the borrower. Cosigners do not receive a Form 1099-INT.
Borrowers will never receive a Form 1098-E and a Form 1099-INT. If they have any Upromise earned benefit, it will be deducted from their Form 1098-E if they are eligible for a Form 1098-E. If they are not eligible for a Form 1098-E, they will receive a Form 1099-INT.
How to update your email permissions
If you would like to receive your tax form via email, make sure your Tax Statements permission is set to electronic delivery by January 1.
- Create or log in to your account.
- Go to My Profile (by selecting your name in the upper right-hand corner).
- Select Review Permissions under Account Settings.
- Choose Modify, select Yes, then choose Update to submit your changes.
When you’ll get your forms
- Online (the fastest way): We’ll email you in late-January when your form is available.
- By mail: Forms are mailed by January 31.
Downloading your forms
When you receive the email that your form is available:
- Log in to your account.
- Select the Statements & Tax Forms link from the Loans tab.
- Go to the Outbound Correspondence tab.
- Select the correspondence labeled Important Tax Document and download/print the form for your records.
If you have questions regarding the content on your tax form, call us at 855-429-9755855-429-9755. We can’t give tax advice, but for more information on taxes, you can:
Make 2016 More Rewarding With the Upromise MasterCard®!
Earn cash back on every purchase to help pay down your eligible student loans.
See Terms and Conditions