Personal finance  |  September 17, 2019  |  Paul Chun

The three-step solution to fix errors on your credit report

What you'll learn
  • Where to get a free copy of your credit report
  • What you will need to fix errors on your credit report
  • How to file a dispute with a credit reporting agency

Your credit report is important. The best way to make sure your report is accurate is to pay close attention to the details. You should check your credit report periodically to ensure there are no errors.

To get a free copy of your annual credit report from Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion, visit You can get your free copy online or through the mail.

If you notice any errors, the correction process can be simple and can take as little as 30 days. Below are three steps to help you fix any errors on your report:

1. Document the errors

The first step to fix any error on your credit report is to prove that the information listed is incorrect. The most common errors found are incorrect spending limits on each on your credit cards or a monthly payment that was mistaken as late. If any of these errors apply to you, you should attach official documents from your bank and clearly circle or highlight the correct spending limit.

2. Write a dispute letter

The fastest way to dispute your case is to submit it through to the credit reporting agency's website. You will need copies of any documents that are related to your case. This can include bank statements, credit card statements, or receipts of loan payments. If you're filing your dispute by mail, try to make your case as easy to read as possible. Be sure to send duplicates of your documents, not original copies.

3. Keep track of your dispute

Once you file a dispute, you will most likely receive a response within 30 days. There is no cost or limit to how many disputes you can file. If you haven't received a response on your credit report in 60 days, contact the credit reporting agency. If the credit reporting agency agrees there's an error, they have to notify the other major consumer reporting agencies to get it corrected.

Sallie Mae does not provide, and these materials are not meant to convey, financial, tax, or legal advice. Sallie Mae makes no claims about the accuracy or adequacy of this information. These materials may not reflect Sallie Mae’s view or endorsement. Consult your own attorney or tax advisor about your specific circumstances. Reproduction without explicit permission is prohibited.