What is the TEACH Grant program
To receive a TEACH Grant, you agree to teach a highly needed subject in a low-income area where there’s a shortage of specific subject teachers in an elementary or secondary school. If you’re awarded a grant, you can get up to $4,000 a year while you’re in school. When you’re teaching, you’ll be paid, just as you would without a TEACH Grant.
There are a number of eligible subject areas for which you can receive a TEACH Grant:
- bilingual education and English language acquisition
- foreign language
- reading specialist
- special education
- any other field that has been identified as high-need by the federal or state government, or a local education agency
- You must teach at a low-income school or educational agency.
- You need to teach for at least four years in an approved school.
- You need to supply documentation of your position to the Department of Education.