Effective as of June 2, 2022
Please note that Personal Information we collect when you apply for or obtain a Sallie Mae product or service (collectively the “Services”) is also governed by the Sallie Mae Privacy Notice, (“Privacy Notice”) which explains the choices you may have in the use and sharing of your Personal Information. If you have applied for or obtained Sallie Mae Services, please refer to the Privacy Notice for additional information about our privacy practices and your privacy rights as it relates to those Services.
What Personal Information Do We Collect?
The types of Personal Information we collect depends on your relationship with us.
If you are an account holder with Sallie Mae (“Customer”) or if you are applying for Services (“Applicant”), the Personal Information we may collect includes Customer and Applicant account servicing information used to: register or log in to your account, verify identity, confirm work or education status, determine eligibility for Services, and to provide account Services (“Account Servicing Purposes”). The Personal Information we may collect for Account Servicing Purposes includes the following:
- First and last name
- Email address
- Home mailing address
- Work address
- Work occupation
- Home telephone number
- Cell phone number
- Work telephone number
- Account username
- Account password
- Personal financial information (PFI)
- Social security number
- Date of birth
- Driver’s license or other government issued identification
- Family and references information
- Credit score and credit report information
We may collect career, education, and other categories of Personal Information directly from you or from our Authorized Third Parties (as further defined below) with whom we partner to provide co-branded and other Services.
If you are visiting our Sites (“Visitor”) the Personal Information we may collect includes your contact information used to respond to your requests for information including:
- First and last name
- Email address
- Account log-in and password
- Cookies (as further defined below)
How Do We Collect Your Personal Information?
Customers and Applicants
As a Customer or Applicant we may collect and/or record Personal Information when you register, login or use our Sites, complete a form, apply for Services, apply for a job, respond to a survey, or communicate with us, including via our call center, mobile applications, or live chat.
Authorized Third Parties
We may collect Personal Information about you from third parties with whom we have a contractual relationship and a lawful basis for collecting your Personal Information, specifically credit bureaus, referral partners, business partners, and financial institutions (each an “Authorized Third Party” and collectively “Authorized Third Parties”).
How Do We Use Your Personal Information?
We use the Personal Information we collect from you for the following business purposes (“Business Purposes”):
- to process your transactions in the provision of Services including but not limited to servicing Customer accounts
- to provide Services in accordance with your request to communicate with you, including via email, chat, text message, push notifications, and/or telephone calls in the provision of Services
- to gather analytics to better understand how you use our Sites and to determine whether the content on our Sites is effective
- to authenticate your identity
- develop and improve our Services
- to fulfill legal and regulatory requirements
- to prevent fraud
You may not opt out of our collection of Personal Information for Business Purposes.
We also use the Personal Information we collect for marketing and communications purposes (“Marketing Communications”) including:
- to personalize your experience when you use the Services and to provide custom, personalized content and communications, including targeted content and advertising through our Sites, on third-party sites with our Authorized Third Parties (as defined herein) or on other devices you may use
- to personalize your experience by sending you emails and other communications related to our Services.
You may opt out of email Marketing Communications by clicking on the unsubscribe link provided in such Marketing Communications. You may opt out of all Marketing Communications by contacting customer service at the number provided in the Privacy Notice.
How Do We Disclose Your Personal Information?
We may disclose your Personal Information for the following purposes:
- to fulfill your request or for the purpose explained when you provided the Personal Information; for example, if you share your name and contact information to ask a question about our Services, we will use that Personal Information to respond to your inquiry, if you provide your Personal Information to apply for Sallie Mae Services or apply for a job with Sallie Mae, we will use that Personal Information to facilitate the application and contact you regarding the outcome;
- with your consent we may share your Personal Information with Authorized Third Parties with whom we partner to provide contests, scholarships or co-branded Services;
- to operate, maintain, and provide the features and functionality of the Sallie Mae Sites and Services;
- to help maintain the safety, security, and integrity of our Sites, Services, databases and other technology assets, and business; to diagnose or fix technology problems, and otherwise plan for and enhance our Services; and
- to share information for marketing purposes with our affiliates or other companies owned or controlled by Sallie Mae and where we are legally permitted to do so.
How To Limit The Disclosure Of Your Personal Information
We collect certain usage information through a variety of tracking technologies, including cookies, Flash objects, web beacons, file information and similar technology (collectively, “Cookies”), and we may use third-party partners, with whom we have contracted (“TPPs”), to collect Cookies. Information collected using Cookies includes Personal Information. For example, we may collect the following Personal Information using Cookies:
- your device and its software
- your IP address
- your browser type
- your browsing history
- your Internet service provider, platform type
- a unique ID that allows us to uniquely identify your browser, mobile device, and your account
- depending on your device settings your geographical location data
Although we do our best to honor the privacy preferences of our users, we are unable to respond to Do Not Track signals set by your browser at this time. If you would prefer not to accept Cookies, most browsers will allow you to: (i) change your browser settings to notify you when you receive a Cookie, which lets you choose whether or not to accept it; (ii) disable existing Cookies; or (iii) set your browser to automatically reject Cookies. Please note that doing so may negatively impact your experience using the Sites, as some features and services on our Sites may not work properly and the offers we provide when you visit or use our Sites may not be as relevant to you or tailored to your interests. Depending on your mobile device and operating system, you may not be able to delete or block all Cookies. Although we do our best to honor the privacy preferences of our users, we are unable to respond to Do Not Track signals set by your browser at this time.
We may share, or we may permit TPPs to collect Personal Information about your use of our Sites over time so that they may display ads that may be relevant to your interests on our Sites as well as on other websites or apps, or on other devices you may use. We or the TPPs use this information to make the advertisements you see online more relevant to your interests. As noted above, depending on your browser or mobile device, you may be able set your browser to delete or notify you of Cookies by actively managing the settings on your browser or mobile device. You may also be able to limit interest-based advertising through the settings on your browser or device. For example, you may be able to opt-out of some interest-based advertising on your mobile device by selecting “limit ad tracking” (iOS) or “opt-out of interest-based ads” (Android).
Online Tracking and Advertising
To learn more about interest-based advertising and how you may opt-out of some network advertising programs, you may wish to visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s online resources, at http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices and/or the DAA’s resources at www.aboutads.info/choices. Some of these opt-outs may not be effective unless your browser is set to accept Cookies. You may be able to opt-out of some – but not all – interest-based ads served by mobile ad networks by visiting https://youradchoices.com/appchoices and downloading the mobile AppChoices app, or by using one of the other industry tools available to manage mobile advertising choices. Please also note that if you choose to opt-out from receiving interest-based advertisements, you may still see advertisements while you’re visiting or using our Sites or third-party Sites. However, the advertisements you see may be less relevant to you and your interests.
Your Choices and Control Over Your Personal Information
If you are a resident of California, please click here to learn about your California consumer privacy rights.
If you are a Sallie Mae Customer:
You may update your Customer profile and other Personal Information by logging in and accessing your Customer account. You may opt out of any Marketing Communications by clicking on the unsubscribe link provided in such communications. We make every effort to promptly process all unsubscribe requests. You may not opt out of Services-related communications (e.g., account verification, transactional communications, changes/updates to features of the Sites or Services, technical and security notices).
If you are a Visitor:
You may elect to stop receiving promotional email communications from us by clicking on the unsubscribe link provided in such communications. We make every effort to promptly process all unsubscribe requests.
For California Residents
To exercise the right to opt-out of the potential sale of your information, you may submit a request to us by visiting the following Internet Web page link:
“DO NOT SELL MY PERSONAL INFORMATION”
You do not need to create an account with us to exercise your opt-out rights. We will only use Personal Information provided in an opt-out request to review and comply with the request.
Links to Authorized Third Parties Websites and Services
Sallie Mae does not knowingly collect or solicit any Personal Information from anyone under the age of 13 on the Sites. If we learn that we have inadvertently collected Personal Information from a child under age 13, we will delete that Personal Information promptly. If you believe that we might have any Personal Information from a child under 13, please contact us using the Contacting Us information listed below.
P.O. Box 3319
Wilmington, DE 19804-4319
You may also contact us via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org