COVID-19 has presented significant health, financial, and wellness challenges for families across the globe. There’s no doubt, however, that the brave and selfless heroes in the medical field have inspired many students to embark on a journey in medicine, creating the next generation of healers and helpers.
So, if the doctors, nurses, and EMTs responding to the COVID-19 pandemic have you thinking about a science or medical focused major, you can start building your paying-for-college plan with scholarships specifically for those programs!
Here are some of the top STEM and medical scholarships you can apply for this summer:
- The Gladys Carol Scholarship Program, Inc.
The Gladys Carol Scholarship Program’s goal is to financially assist high school seniors and graduates, and current undergraduate students who will be or are pursuing a STEM degree. The program awards one $2,500 award, which can be renewed for a second $2,500 award for a consecutive year of study if students meet certain prerequisites.
- Who this is for: The Gladys Carol Scholarship Program is open to high school seniors, high school graduates, and current undergraduate level students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. They must be accepted to or enrolled in a full-time STEM (science, technology, engineering, or math) program at an accredited, non-profit public or private four-year college or university in the U.S.
- What you need to do: Submit your transcripts, your SAT or ACT score, a copy of the Student Aid Report [SAR] from Free Application for Federal Student Aid [FAFSA], if you are applying for, or have applied for student aid, and a personal essay. No word on if COVID-19 means the application requirement for your SAT or ACT score will change, but keep an eye on the website!
- Amount: $5,000: $2,500 for one year of study, which can be renewed for a second consecutive year of study.
- Deadline: The application opens on November 1, 2020 and closes March 31, 2021.
- EveryNurse Scholarships
EveryNurse is dedicated to helping nursing students better understand their financial aid options and providing financial aid for students to further their education. There are a number of scholarships available for men in nursing, minorities in nursing, RN students, nurse practitioners, and graduate nursing students.
- The EveryNurse Scholarship for RN Students
- Who this is for: Students pursuing their RN credentials, including nurses in LPN-RN bridge programs.
- What you need to do: Complete a short application and submit a personal essay about your interest in nursing.
- Amount: $2,000
- Deadline: The application is currently open and closes October 15, 2020.
- The EveryNurse Scholarship for Men in Nursing
- Who this is for: Undergraduate male students pursuing their RN or LPN credentials in preparation for careers in nursing.
- What you need to do: Complete a short application and submit an essay about diversity in healthcare.
- Amount: $2,000
- Deadline: The application is currently open and closes December 15, 2020.
- The EveryNurse Scholarship for Minority Nurses
- Who this is for: Underrepresented students pursuing nursing.
- What you need to do: Complete a short application and submit an essay about cultural sensitivity in nursing.
- Amount: $2,000
- Deadline: The application is currently open and closes February 15, 2021.
If you’re considering the medical field, equipping yourself with the financial resources necessary, including scholarships, will empower you to focus on your future. These scholarships are just the beginning - there are online tools like Sallie Mae’s Scholarship Search that can connect you to millions of different opportunities. Whatever your path, or inspiration, a little planning can go a long way when it comes to figuring out how to pay.