Other parent identity and contact information
Why do they need this info?
- As the other parent of a dependent student, you need to provide financial and other info in the FAFSA® for the student to be considered for financial aid.
Can I skip these questions?
You can’t skip if your student is dependent. All of the following statements must be true for them to be considered dependent:
- The student was born after the year 2000.
- The student’s current marital status is Single (never married), Divorced, Separated or Widowed. (question 3 on the FAFSA® paper version)
- The student’s college grade level will be first-year, second-year, or other undergraduate. (question 4 on the FAFSA® paper version)
- They answered “None of these apply” to the Student Personal Circumstances question. (question 5 on the FAFSA® paper version).
- They answered no to the Student Other Circumstances and Student Unusual Circumstances questions (questions 6 and 7 on the FAFSA® paper version).
If any of the statements are not true, your student is independent, and other parent info is required from you.