Life changes

Some post-school changes simply require updating your account information. Others are more serious and may require one-on-one help. If you have situations that aren't covered here or you need assistance, chat with us online or give us a call.

Change your name

If you need to update the name on your account information, you need to send us copies of two of the following forms of identification:

  • Current driver's license
  • Social Security card
  • Current W-2 Form
  • Birth certificate
  • Unexpired government-issued ID (such as a military ID)
  • Certificate of Naturalization (Form N-550 or N-570)
  • U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (Form N-560 or N-561)
  • Alien Registration Card (Form I-551 or I-151)
  • State ID
  • Court order
  • Passport
  • U.S. military discharge papers
  • Legal document certifying the name change (marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc.)

You can send us your documents one of the following ways:

  • Online: Log in to your account, go to the Resource center > Forms > Secure Document Upload. 
  • Mail: Sallie Mae, ATTN: Correspondence, P.O. Box 3319, Wilmington, DE 19804-4319.
  • Fax: 855-756-0011.

Allow someone else to discuss your account with us

If you want to make someone eligible to receive information about your account, chat with us online or call us at 800-472-5543. The person you add to your account can request information and make payments but won’t be able to make changes to your account. If you should pass away, this person will still be able to talk to us about your account.

Change your address

Log in to your account, click the Profile icon, select My profile, then Edit contact information for email and phone numbers or Edit address for mailing address. Update your information and click save. For more information, chat with us online or call us at 800-472-5543.

Disability or death

If a student dies or becomes permanently and totally disabled, we will waive the Current Balance. To discuss your situation and find out how we can help, please chat with us online or call us at 800-472-5543.

Related topics