If you’re the borrower and want to apply, you’ll need to:
- Submit a signed and fully completed application.
- Be old enough to enter a legally-binding contract in your state of residence.
- Provide proof of graduation or completion of a certification program.
- Be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident at the time you submit the request.
- Provide proof of income.
- Be current on all Sallie Mae-serviced loans at the time of application review and have not been 30 or more days past due within the last 12 months.
- Demonstrate a satisfactory payment history on the loan(s) requested by pre-paying an amount equal to the required 12 principal and interest payments or by making the required 12 on-time principal and interest payments. Interest or fixed payments made during the in-school and separation or grace period(s) do not count toward this requirement.
- Have had no student loan(s) in a hardship forbearance or modified repayment program for the 12 months before you apply.
- Demonstrate the ability to assume full responsibility for repayment of the loan(s).
- Pass a credit review that demonstrates a satisfactory credit history, including, but not limited to, no bankruptcy, foreclosure, student loan(s) in default, or 90-day delinquencies in the last 24 months.
Please be aware that requirements are subject to change.