Form 1099-INT: Annual Income Interest Tax Statement
This form shows the amount of interest income earned on a Upromise® account during the calendar year. It’s provided to borrowers who have met the requirements for borrower benefit programs, and have earned more benefit dollars than they paid in eligible student loan interest during the calendar year.
This statement is only available for the borrower. Cosigners do not receive a Form 1099-INT.
Borrowers will never receive both a Form 1098-E and a Form 1099-INT. If they have any Upromise earned benefit, it will be deducted from their Form 1098-E if they’re eligible for one. If they’re not eligible for a Form 1098-E, they’ll receive a Form 1099-INT.
Tax Information for Cosigners
Customers who have cosigned an eligible Sallie Mae student loan(s) will receive notification from us providing the total amount of interest paid during the calendar year. This notification is for informational purposes only. The borrower on the loan(s) will receive the applicable tax form. We encourage cosigners to contact their borrowers to obtain tax forms, if needed.
Update your email permissions
To receive an email when your tax form is available, make sure your Tax Statements permission is set to electronic delivery by December 31.
How to update your email permissions
- Create or log in to your account.
- Go to My Profile (by clicking your name in the upper right-hand corner).
- Click the "Edit Contact Info" button.
- Place your cursor over the "Email Address" field and click on your email address.
- Under the second question regarding Tax Statements, choose "Yes."
- Click "Save" to submit your changes.
How to get your forms
- Online: We’ll email you in late January when your form is available.
- By mail: Forms are mailed by January 31.