Bar Study Loan®
Be financially prepared with a Bar Study Loan from Sallie Mae®
With the Bar Study Loan from Sallie Mae, you can finance your bar exam costs that are not covered by federal student loan programs such as bar review course fees, bar exam deposits and/or fees, as well as living expenses incurred while studying for and taking the bar exam.
Defer payments until after school
- The Bar Study Loan gives you the flexibility to defer payments while you are in school at least half time and for nine months after graduation or leaving school.1
Lower your interest rate
- When you enter repayment, you can lower your interest rate by 0.25 percentage points while enrolled to make your scheduled monthly payments by automatic debit.
Cover the cost of paying for the Bar Exam
- You can borrow as little as $1,000 or as much as $15,000.
Be in control of your funds
- All disbursements are made directly to you.
Access your account information anytime, anywhere, with our 24/7 online account management.
- Rates are variable and range from 3.50% APR to 10.20% APR.1
- Get a 0.25 percentage point interest rate reduction while enrolled to make scheduled monthly payments by automatic debit.2
- Students can borrow from $1,000 up to $15,000.
- 0.00% Disbursement fee.
- No repayment fee.
- No prepayment penalty.
- No payments required until nine months after graduation.1
- Request to make monthly interest payments for the first two or four years, followed by principal and interest payments for the remainder of the term or make monthly principal and interest payments for the full repayment term.
- You may apply for a Bar Study Loan if you are enrolled at least half time in your final year of study at an ABA-accredited law school, or have graduated from one within the last 12 months.
- You must be sitting for the bar exam no later than 12 months after graduation.
- You must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident or a Non-U.S. citizen borrower who is attending or has attended a school located in the U.S. applying with a creditworthy cosigner who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and present U.S. Citizenship and Immigrations Service (USCIS) documents.
- You must meet current credit and other eligibility criteria.
- Applications are subject to a requested minimum loan amount of $1,000.
Apply now online or call 877-279-7172.
Get help deciding which loan is right for you.
Call us at (877) 279-7172(877) 279-7172
Manage your loan
A cosigner can really pay off
Applying with a creditworthy cosigner may result in a lower interest rate.
Cosigner release available
You may apply to release your cosigner from the loan after you graduate, make 12 on-time principal and interest payments and meet certain credit requirements.