Bar Study Loan®
Be financially prepared with a Bar Study Loan from Sallie Mae®
With the Bar Study Loan from Sallie Mae, you can finance your bar exam costs that are not covered by federal student loan programs such as bar review course fees, bar exam deposits and/or fees, as well as living expenses incurred while studying for and taking the bar exam.
Defer payments until after school
- The Bar Study Loan gives you the flexibility to defer payments while you are in school at least half time and for nine months after graduation or leaving school.1
Lower your interest rate
- When you enter repayment, you can lower your interest rate by a 0.25 percentage point while enrolled to make your scheduled monthly payments by automatic debit.
Cover the cost of paying for the Bar
- You can borrow as little as $1,000 or as much as $15,000.
Be in control of your funds
- All disbursements are made directly to you.
Access your account information anytime, anywhere, with our 24/7 online account management.
- Rates are variable and range from 3.25% APR to 9.96% APR.1
- Get a 0.25 percentage point interest rate reduction while enrolled to make scheduled monthly payments by automatic debit.2
- Students can borrow from $1,000 up to $15,000.
- 0.00% Disbursement fees
- No repayment fees.
- No prepayment penalty.
- Flexible repayment options.
- Standard Repayment: Full principal and interest payments for up to 15 years.1,4
- No payments required until nine months after graduation.1
- You may apply for a Bar Study Loan if you are enrolled at least half time in your final year of study at an ABA-accredited law school, or have graduated from one within the last 12 months.
- You must be sitting for the bar exam no later than 12 months after graduation.
- You must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident or a foreign borrower applying with a creditworthy cosigner who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and present U.S. Citizenship and Immigrations Service (USCIS) documents.
- You must meet current credit and other eligibility criteria. Applications are subject to a requested minimum loan amount of $1,000.
Apply now online or call 800-984-0190.
Get help deciding which loan is right for you.
Call us at (800) 984-0190(800) 984-0190
Manage your loan
A cosigner can really pay off
A cosigner can help you qualify
Applying with a creditworthy cosigner may give you a better chance of approval.
Cosigner release available
After graduation a borrower may apply for their cosigner to be released from the loan once they have made 12 consecutive, on-time principal and interest payments and meet certain credit requirements.